Behind every major movement of lost people coming to Christ lies concentrated intercessory prayer. We ask you to join us in prayer that God will transform Guinea Bissau by drawing the Guineans to himself. Our prayer is that as you grow in knowledge of the people and places of Guinea Bissau, the Lord will grow in you a love for these people as he has in us.
Prayer Points for Hope Remembered
Join us in prayer throughout the week. You can download a printable prayer calendar here.
- Sunday: Pray for protection and boldness for the new Fula believers.
- Monday: Ask the Lord to provide funding for the medical clinics needed to serve in the Papel and Fula villages.
- Tuesday: Pray for our Guinean partners Jeremias and Dominguez as they prepare to live among the Papel people.
- Wednesday: Pray that God would raise up more people with a desire to participate in our sponsorship program.
- Thursday: Pray that God would give the staff at Hope Remembered wisdom and guidance in all future decisions.
- Friday: Pray that the Lord would raise up more laborers with a desire to serve long-term among the unreached people of Guinea Bissau.
- Saturday: Pray for the stability of the government as well as the current and future leaders of Guinea Bissau.
We believe that children can play a vital role in ministry through prayer. Here are a few ways to get your kids involved in prayer for three of the Guinean people groups that Hope Remembered is working with.
- While you brush your teeth, pray for clean water projects for the Fula, the Balanta, and the Papel.
- As you go to school, pray for educational opportunities and scholarships for the children of rural Guinean villages.
- Add to your dinner prayer petitions for sustainable and secure food sources for the Fula, the Balanta, and the Papel.
Pray for Guinean Unreached People Groups
Fula People Group
The Fula of Guinea Bissau are a Muslim people, following the teachings of Mohammed. They adhere strongly to virtues and good morals, such as justice, honesty, generosity, and patience.
The Fula were one of the first African tribes to convert to Islam and today are overwhelmingly Muslim. Not only is Islam a religion for the Fula, but also a way of life. Therefore, any deviation from Islam is condemned and attacked by the entire community.
Prayer Points for the Fula
- Ask the Holy Spirit to grant wisdom and favor to the missions agencies that are focusing on the Fula.
- Pray for effectiveness of the Jesus film among the Fula, with many conversions resulting.
- Ask God to anoint the Gospel as it goes forth via radio in their area.
- Ask the Lord to bring forth a triumphant Fula church for the glory of His name.
Balanta People Group
The Balanta are fishermen, herders, and cultivators. They grow millet, rice, peanuts, cashews, and fruit for a cash crop. They love to celebrate traditional holidays. The Balanta live on the west coast of Africa though they originated in India, Egypt, and Ethiopia.
In this society God is believed to be far away. They try to reach him through spirits and sacrifices. The Balanta live in constant fear of evil spirits and make many sacrifices to try and appease them. If a mother dies during childbirth it is believed that the child is evil responsible for the death of the mother. This often leads to abuse and sometimes the sacrifice of the child. People with mental disabilities are also believed to have evil spirits and are mistreated and many times left outside of the village to fend for themselves.
Prayer Points for the Balanta
- Pray that existing Balanta believers would be raised up to reach their own people for Christ.
- Pray for God to use this very versatile people and make them see that believing on Jesus Christ is the only means of salvation.
- Ask God to break the ties of traditional spirit worship and to display His power over the evil spirits through miracles.
Papel People Group
The Papel people are mostly animistic. Animism encompasses the belief that there is no separation between the spiritual and physical (or material) world. Souls or spirits exist, not only in humans, but also in some other animals, plants, rocks, geographic features such as mountains or rivers, or other entities of the natural environment, including thunder, wind, and shadows. They live their lives in fear of evil spirits.
Many Papel have a hut just outside the village where the witch doctor makes sacrifices and contracts with evil spirits in order to appease them. They are also engaged in idol worship. It is believed that many of the more powerful sorcerers can transform themselves into animals or other objects in order to cause harm or even murder rivals.
Prayer Points for the Papel
- Pray that the Papel believers would be good ambassadors for Christ in their own villages.
- Pray that the strongholds of Satan would be destroyed among the Papel and the truth of the Gospel would prevail.
- Pray for physical and spiritual protection over missionaries serving among the Papel.